By Patrick Colbeck
While all of the attention has been focused upon manipulation of election results via software, there has been very little attention paid to hardware. Malware can be embedded in hardware as well as software. That’s why the following discovery unearthed by Attorney Matt DePerno during his investigation into Antrim County election fraud is so important.
What was discovered?
- ES&S DS200 voting machine was found to have a Telit LE910-SV1 Modem Chip installed on its motherboard
- Chip utilized a commercial Verizon SIM card with an Access Point Name (APN) configuration specific to the ES&S DS200 provisioning.
What does the Telit LE910-SV1 Modem Chip do?
- Enable communication between voting system equipment and election servers
- Designed to operate on a virtual private network
- Testing has revealed that the same SIM card could be used in a separate wireless hotspot device. This device could then join the same APN as the ES&S voting machines.
Why is this important?
- ES&S equipment is used in eight Michigan counties: Alcona, Bay, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Kalamazoo, Macomb, Mason, Roscommon
- It demonstrates that computers can be connected to internet without any discernable ethernet or external modem connection
- It demonstrates that Dominion Voting Systems are not the only electronic voting system with security vulnerabilities
- It is very difficult to detect unless you pry open the machine case to investigate the hardware
- It drives the imperative for disciplined hardware certification as well as software certification
- Anyone with access to any SIM card could have pre-programmed access to the APN.
- It demonstrates how electronic voting systems could be connected to the internet with minimal risk of detection.
- Antrim County: The Thread That Unravels the 2020 Election Theft
- The Big Hack That Actually Happened – Chinese Military Implicated in Equifax Breach
- The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies
- Wireless Tech Forum: Personal Privacy and National Security Risks